For over half a century, the Philip L. Graham Fund has supported local nonprofit organizations providing both essential and enriching programs to the communities in and around the nation’s capital. Established in 1963, the Fund is named for Philip L. Graham, who was publisher of The Washington Post from 1946 to 1961 and president of The Washington Post Company (now Graham Holdings Company) from 1947 to 1963. Gifts from his widow, the late Katharine Meyer Graham, his friends, and The Washington Post Co. formed the initial corpus of the Fund. From its inception, the Fund’s mission has been to use its resources for the betterment of the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.
Reflective of its determination to respond to a wide range of community needs, the Fund’s grants lists are broad and varied. Grants are awarded across four interest areas, including Arts & Humanities, Community Endeavors, Education, and Health & Human Services. In the past, the Fund also worked to foster improvements in the fields of journalism and communications. Grantees include large, regional organizations as well as small, community-based groups; all share a commitment to our community. The Fund awards grants across 12 jurisdictions in the metropolitan area and is governed by a six-member Board of Trustees.