As of 4/24/20, the Philip L. Graham has instituted a new application process in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and is currently accepting proposals for funding. Please click here to view the Fund’s new grantmaking guidelines and process.
Please note, the Fund’s regular grant application process detailed below is currently on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Before starting the Philip L. Graham Fund grant application process, please review the Focus Areas, Eligibility, and Frequently Asked Questions to ensure your organization and request fit within the Fund’s giving parameters.
Letter of Inquiry
The PLG Fund only accepts Letter of Inquiry applications via its online grant application portal, beginning one month prior to each deadline. The Letter of Inquiry application requires the applicant to provide an overview of the organization and a brief description of the grant request.
Gather required documentation
The following documents will be required with the Letter of Inquiry:
- Board of Director’s List
- Financial Audit (for the organization’s most recently completed fiscal year)
- Current Year Operating Budget (including revenues and expenses)
- List of Secured and Pending Project Funding (for specific request only)
- List of Historical Corporate and Foundation Funding (for the organization at-large, for the current fiscal year and past two fiscal years)
- Project Budget (estimated expenses for specific request only)
Write the Letter of Inquiry
- Provide a description of the purpose of the request
- Describe the project for which funding is being requested
- Identify project outcomes
Next Steps: Applicants will be notified of the request’s status via email within one month of each Letter of Inquiry deadline.
Select applicants will be invited to complete the Full Proposal application. An invitation to submit a full proposal does not guarantee funding.
Gather required documentation
The following documents will be required with the Full Proposal:
- Proof of 501(c)(3) Status
- IRS Form 990 (signed and dated copy of most recent filing)
- Prior Year Operating Budget (including budgeted to actual revenues and expenses)
- Subsequent Year Operating Budget (including expected revenues and expenses)
Next Steps: The Fund’s staff will contact applicants if additional information, a meeting, or a site visit is needed.
If the Fund’s staff confirms a site visit at your organization, please be prepared to discuss the organization and request, provide a tour of your facility, and facilitate an observation of your programming.
Grant Decisions and Reporting
All Full Proposal applicants will receive written notification of the Fund’s decision on their request.
Return signed award letter
Once the Fund receives the signed grant award letter, the grant award check will be disbursed.
Submit a Final Grant Report
Grantees are required to submit a final grant report within 12 months of the award date. These reports must be submitted electronically through the Grant Award Portal.